Contact us to see how we can help with your project.
A few of the interesting things I have done before that are:
- Director of Technology at GigPark (named one of the top 10 Toronto web startups of 2009). I built the first version on my own and then expanded to a small team that I managed through to the acquisition by Canpages (which was then quickly acquired by Yellow Pages). I then completed the transition and integration with the Canpages.ca site. GigPark was built using Ruby on Rails and Amazon Web Services.
- Created several open-source projects including the most popular open-source Amazon EC2 image to deploy and manage Rails apps.
- Spoke at the FutureRuby conference on Ruby web application scalability.
- Founded a software company in 2003. Created a web-based product for improving the efficiency of on-boarding new employees and managing exiting employees. We defined a market which didn’t previously exist, and all major HR software now includes this functionality. We created a great product that our customers loved but ultimately failed because we did a poor job of selling it to enterprise customers. Many lessons learned.
- Built the first two versions of TurboTax Online, Intuit Canada's online tax software, from 2000 to 2002. This was ground-breaking Java web development at the time and had huge scalability challenges which I enjoyed solving. We developed a stable and reliable app that our users loved.
- Worked in Hamburg, Germany doing web development at the height of the dot-com boom.
- Led and implemented all technical aspects of launching the web development department of an ad agency in 1995. I did this while I was still completing my comp. sci. degree at the University of Toronto. It may have been a slight distraction from my studies at times.
When I’m not developing software I can be found either with my kids, or at the gym practicing Jeet Kune Do and Filipino martial arts, or doing something active outdoors.